Alto Hurtya #28
Photo by Zac Evans
- When did you start playing Roller Derby?
- I started boot camp May 4th, 2016 and passed all my assessments January 25th, 2017
- What positions do you normally play/like to play?
- Blocker. My large frame helps me keep the Jammer from passing.
- What do you love about Roller Derby?
- First and foremost it is a lot of FUN! Also I love how no matter your age, size, background, or occupation; everyone has a place in the derby world.
- Favorite Roller Derby moment?
- There are so many moments and milestones that come along with this sport. I would have to say right now, finally passing the 27 laps in 5 minutes hurdle was my favorite. This moment allowed me to see my hard work and hours of practice pay off.
- Most embarrassing Roller Derby moment?
- We were doing a fast paced lap drill at practice. I came around the corner and attempted to stop. While doing this I caught a bad edge, making me spin around like a top. This forced me to land, splat, right in front of everyone. Don't worry, only my ego was bruised.
- What is one piece of advice you could give to newer girls or those who are thinking about joining Roller Derby?
- When I started derby, I distinctly remember wishing I had started my career years ago. Learn from my mistake, join now. Start going to open skates and remember how much fun roller skating can be. Talk to players on the team to see how to join this great team and sport. We want you to share in our love for it.
- What is one thing that Roller Derby/Dutchland helped you achieve?
- It's given me a reason to travel and enjoy the company of a group of people I would have never met otherwise.
- What has Roller Derby taught you?
- Hard work and exercise can be some of the most fun you'll ever have.
- Anything you'd like to say to your adoring fans?
- I cherish your support and cheers. You help inspire me to achieve things I never thought possible. Thank you!