Cape Mayhem #609
Photo by Jim Rhoades
- When did you start playing Roller Derby?
- I joined Dutchland in April 2014 as an official and started skating in January 2015.
- What positions do you normally play/like to play?
- Blocker and Pivot.
- What do you love about Roller Derby?
- There are a million things! Most of all, I love this amazing community of skaters, officials, volunteers, and fans. We all have a shared passion and purpose that brings us together and keeps us coming back again. It’s exciting, supportive, and inspiring. But aside from that, I also really like the bruises.
- Favorite Roller Derby moment?
- Finally passing my minimum skills. I struggled with the 27 in 5 for months, and I’ll never forget my coach’s smile as she walked up to tell me I made it. I pulled her into a huge hug and just started crying in the middle of the rink.
- Most embarrassing Roller Derby moment?
- It’s pretty embarrassing how many times I’ve accidentally taken out my own teammates at practice.
- What is one piece of advice you could give to newer girls or those who are thinking about joining Roller Derby?
- You can do this. Be patient, stay focused, and keep your head held high.
- What is one thing that Roller Derby/Dutchland helped you achieve?
- Roller derby is the type of sport that never stops pushing you. It pushes your limits. It pushes them over and over again. And it helps you realize that you are capable of so much more than you thought possible.
- What has Roller Derby taught you?
- Mental patience and physical discipline.
- Anything you'd like to say to your adoring fans?
- I couldn’t have done this without the support of my family, friends, and teammates. Thank you for everything. And thanks to all of Dutchland’s fans! Our league and this sport would not be the same without you.