Mama Moscato #750
Photo by Dunna Vetta
- When did you start playing Roller Derby?
- I came to a recruitment night in January of 2014 and played my first game with the Crush in 2015.
- What positions do you normally play/like to play?
- I am definitely most comfortable blocking, and I anchored for the Blitz this season.
- What do you love about Roller Derby?
- The empowerment that it gives so many women to overcome things they think that they can’t conquer. It truly is a life changer for so many people. Myself included.
- What do you love about Dutchland?
- The organization itself. It never ceases to amaze me what we are capable of when we pull together. Whether it’s getting the rink ready on game day, volunteering our time at a community event, or trying to help a teammate build a fence, mend a broken heart, or learn how to do toe stop turns.
- What motivated you to run for captain this season?
- It has been on my derby bucket list for awhile, and this year seemed like the right time to run for it. I remember how I felt my first season skating with the CRUSH, and wanted to create that same, positive, excited to skate AND learn vibe !! I definitely think Blitz accomplished that this season.
- What are some of your favorite moments from the 2018 season?
- Skating around the track as Captain for the first time with my entire Blitz team in March; being asked to be an alternate for the All-Stars, even if I didn’t get to actually play with them. Winning our last game of the travel season, I was crying, but they were happy and proud tears.
- Favorite Roller Derby moment?
- Oh wow!! That’s a really tough question. There are so many great experiences that I have had with skaters past & present, it’s difficult to choose just one.
- What advice would give to people who are new to the sport or who are thinking of joining?
- Stick with it. Ask questions. Keep pushing even when you don’t want to anymore. Be patient. Nobody turns into Miracle Whips, the first time they strap on skates. Realize it is a time and lifestyle commitment, not just a hobby, but the rewards are worth your efforts.
- Anything you would like to say to your team/ league mates?
- These ladies are my family. Without them, I wouldn’t be the person or the skater I am today. There really isn’t a way to put into words the difference they have made and continue to make in my life. I love my derby family. Xoxo MAMA