Mama Moscato #750
Photo by Jim Esposito
- When did you start playing Roller Derby?
- I came to open recruitment in January 2014 and played my first game with the CRUSH when the 2015 season began.
- What positions do you normally play/like to play?
- I'm a blocker.
- What do you love about Roller Derby?
- There's just too much to list! The people: I've met some of the best women you could ever want to know, that I would have probably never crossed paths with otherwise. The actual sport: It literally will make you stronger mentally and physically. Win or lose, it's always rewarding.
- What do you love about Dutchland?
- The passion that everyone has for derby, and the way we come together to accomplish things. Whether it's a game, a cause, or helping a fellow teammate, someone always has your back.
- Favorite Roller Derby moment?
- When something I've been working on at practice finally clicks and I use it in a game, I get giddy. Also, I get a lot of excitement out of watching new skaters have their first BIG moment on the track. Like a proud parent.
- Most embarrassing Roller Derby moment?
- Ahhhhh more than I can count. Probably getting knocked down during a game and my helmet hitting the floor so loudly that it literally made the crowd gasp and go silent. Felt like an eternity of awkward silence....Big shout out to S1 helmets for keeping my noggin intact!
- What is one piece of advice you could give to newer girls or those who are thinking about joining Roller Derby?
- Not to get discouraged and give up. Take your time, and don't get impatient. It's really easy to beat yourself up over stupid things. There's always going to be someone who does something better than you. Watch them, and learn what you can. One of the best skaters I know, told me she "sucked" at plowing, when I asked her for help. Guess what? She's the person who finally taught me how. No one can do everything. Find your strengths and focus on that, the rest will follow!
- What is one thing that Roller Derby/Dutchland helped you achieve?
- That no matter how old you are, if you want to do it, you can! I'm a proud member of the over 40 club!
- What has Roller Derby taught you?
- To push my limits on and off the track.
- Anything you'd like to say to your adoring fans?
- Come out and see us!
Tell your family, tell your friends, tell your co-workers and anyone else that will listen! You can never have enough fans!