Scarface O'Hara #26
Photo by Zac Evans
- When did you start playing Roller Derby?
- August of 2016.
- What positions do you normally play?
- What do you love about roller derby?
- It's such an incredible, inclusive sport. It's challenging physically and mentally. I've really enjoyed learning to think differently as I play, and I've been learning to respond and move my body in the best way to respond to whatever is going on. I love that any kind of body can play this sport and be fantastic. I love seeing what all these different women bring when we play.
- Favorite roller derby moment?
- At my second scrimmage I got lead against one of the crazy awesome jammers from the A team, that felt really cool. I had to call it off almost immediately because she was right behind me, but it felt cool for that three seconds.
- Most embarrassing derby moment?
- At my first scrimmage I got a failure to reform penalty and felt really silly. Then I got out of the box and immediately got another penalty for illegal reentry.
- What is one piece of advice you could give to newer girls or those who are thinking about joining Roller Derby?
- Do it! And in the meantime, skate as much as possible, go to all-skates, if you have skates with soft wheels, skate outside, skate in your house. Do all of the squats.
- What is one thing that Roller Derby/Dutchland helped you achieve?
- I've started to really feel happy in my body in a way that I never have before. I'm much less self critical. This sport has really helped me celebrate what my body can do. Everyone has been so supportive, and the tot program is amazing. When I get stuck on a new skill there is always someone there to encourage me and give me pointers on how to improve. I feel so privileged to have had the opportunity to get to know and work with such a splendid and inspiring group of women.
- What has Roller Derby taught you?
- I've never played any kind of team sport before, and I've really enjoyed learning to work as part of a unit, to trust my team. I love when I feel really synced up with my pack during a jam and we really make stuff work. That's a swell feeling.
- Anything you'd like to say to your adoring fans?
- I'm so glad you guys come see us, thank you!!